Please forward all media inquiries to:
Danni Rumsey, Public Relations Manager
732-499-0441 ext. 221
Photo 1 Link
Left to Right: Dr. Gizem Tanol (Autism Friendly Spaces), Al Mirabella(Chairman, UC Board of Chosen Freeholders), Lori Gonzalez with son Ricky, Samson Steinman (UC PAC Executive Director) and Dr. Jamie Bleiweiss (Autism Friendly Spaces).
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Union County’s Sensory Friendly Theatre series
continues at the UC PAC with
New Jersey Ballet’s production of PINOCCHIO
Sunday, November 4 at 2PM
Tickets: $8 General Admission
Box Office and Info: ucpac.org or call 732-499-8226
(Rahway, NJ) The next installment in Union County’s Sensory Friendly Theater series, “Pinocchio” presented by New Jersey Ballet, is one of several performances specially designed for children with Autism and related disabilities presented at the Union County Performing Arts Center on November 4 at 2PM. All seats are $8 per person and can be purchased at ucpac.org or by calling the Box Office at 732-499-8226.
NJ Ballet’s production of Pinocchio brings to life the story of a wooden puppet who longs to be a real boy, Pinocchio must first learn about courage, loyalty and to always tell the truth. The ballet follows his adventures with an evil Ringmaster, a gang of Ruffians, a huge storm and a Giant Whale. Thanks to the Blue Fairy, everything works out in the end and Pinocchio becomes a real boy at last. Production features original “storyteller” narration.
“Exposure to the arts is an important way to help enrich the quality of life for young Union County residents who need special care and attention,” said Freeholder Chairman Alexander Mirabella. “This series will enable youngsters to enjoy live performances with their families in a calming, supportive atmosphere.”
As part of Mirabella’s “Putting People First” initiatives, the series is designed according to guidelines that help to reduce disturbances for youngsters who experience heightened sensory sensitivity.
This unique performance series in designed and adapted in cooperation with the Union County Board of Chosen Freeholders, Autism Friendly Spaces, LLC and the Union County Performing Arts Center. For each of the special performances in the Sensory Friendly Theatre series the theatre environment will be adjusted to provide a sensory-friendly, comfortable and judgment-free space that is welcoming for all families.
What to expect at a Sensory Friendly Theatre event:
• Each performance will run 60 minutes with an intermission.
• Seating is general admission and a limited number of tickets will be sold to maintain a comfortable size audience at each performance.
• Lights will remain up inside the theatre auditorium.
• Sound volume will be lowered and remain constant to prevent abrupt jarring sounds.
• Children will be free to talk and vocalize as they wish.
• Children may leave their seats under parental supervision.
• A private lounge area will be available where children and their families can relax. Fidget and stress sensory toys will be available for children to borrow as needed.
• Professional Autism specialists will be available throughout the performance to provide assistance as requested or needed.
• Resource Materials: "This Is My Theatre" Social Story Picture Packet, may be downloaded at ucpac.org. Families may use this Social Story tool to help acquaint their children with the experience of going to a live performance.
• Families who have not been to the Union County Performing Arts Center are invited to stop by and visit the theatre space and explore the seating areas two hours before the performance or by appointment prior to the performance date.
Union County and the Union County PAC worked with Autism Friendly Spaces, LLC to design the series and Paper Mill Playhouse and the Children’s Specialized Hospital assisted in making the program possible.
For further information on ticketing or the performance itself contact the Union County Performing Arts Center at 732-499-8226 or visit them online at www.ucpac.org
TICKETS: Available at the UC PAC Box Office at 732-499-8226 or online at UCPAC.org. The UC PAC Box Office, located at 1601 Irving Street, Rahway, NJ, is open Tuesday through Friday from 11AM until 5PM and also open late on Thursdays until 8PM.
LOCATION: Located in the heart of the Rahway Arts District, Union County Performing Arts Center (1601 Irving Street, Rahway) is within walking distance of the Rahway NJ Transit train station and can be reached by taking exit 135 from the Garden State Parkway or exit 12 from the NJ Turnpike. Parking is available downtown at the Rahway Parking Garage.
ABOUT UNION COUNTY PAC: The Union County Performing Arts Center is a non-profit 501(c)(3) corporation operating in the historic Rahway Theatre, originally built in 1928. With 1,300 seats, the Union County PAC is one of the largest theatres in Union County. The Arts Center provides barrier-free access and seating for patrons upon request. Programming is made possible in part by funds from the New Jersey State Council on the Arts/Department of State, a Partner Agency of the National Endowment for the Arts and by funds from the National Endowment for the Arts.
# # #
ADDITIONAL PHOTOS AND INTERVIEWS FURNISHED UPON REQUEST
For further press information please contact:
Danni Rumsey | 732-499-0441, ext. 221 | Danni@ucpac.org
Visit the Union County Performing Arts Center online at www.ucpac.org